The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 28 May 2019 – Children of Destiny
TOPIC: Focus on the Target
READ: 2 Kings 2:1-15 King James Version (KJV)
- And it came to pass, when the Lord was about to take up Elijah into heaven by a whirlwind, that Elijah went with Elisha from Gilgal.
- Then Elijah said to Elisha, “Stay here, please, for the Lord has sent me on to Bethel.” But Elisha said, “ As the Lord lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you!” So they went down to Bethel.
- Now the sons of the prophets who were at Bethel came out to Elisha, and said to him, “Do you know that the Lord will take away your master from over you today?” And he said, “Yes, I know; keep silent!”
- Then Elijah said to him, “Elisha, stay here, please, for the Lord has sent me on to Jericho.” But he said, “As the Lord lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you!” So they came to Jericho.
- Now the sons of the prophets who were at Jericho came to Elisha and said to him, “Do you know that the Lord will take away your master from over you today?” So he answered, “Yes, I know; keep silent!”
- Then Elijah said to him, “Stay here, please, for the Lord has sent me on to the Jordan.” But he said, “ As the Lord lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you!” So the two of them went on.
- And fifty men of the sons of the prophets went and stood facing them at a distance, while the two of them stood by the Jordan.
- Now Elijah took his mantle, rolled it up, and struck the water; and it was divided this way and that, so that the two of them crossed over on dry ground.
- And so it was, when they had crossed over, that Elijah said to Elisha, “Ask! What may I do for you, before I am taken away from you?” Elisha said, “Please let a double portion of your spirit be upon me.”
- So he said, “You have asked a hard thing. Nevertheless, if you see me when I am taken from you, it shall be so for you; but if not, it shall not be so.
- Then it happened, as they continued on and talked, that suddenly a chariot of fire appeared with horses of fire, and separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
- And Elisha saw it, and he cried out, “My father, my father, the chariot of Israel and its horsemen!” So he saw him no more. And he took hold of his own clothes and tore them into two pieces.
- He also took up the mantle of Elijah that had fallen from him, and went back and stood by the bank of the Jordan.
- Then he took the mantle of Elijah that had fallen from him, and struck the water, and said, “Where is the Lord God of Elijah?” And when he also had struck the water, it was divided this way and that; and Elisha crossed over.
- Now when the sons of the prophets who were from Jericho saw him, they said, “The spirit of Elijah rests on Elisha.” And they came to meet him, and bowed to the ground before him.
Focus is the opposite of distraction. When a man is distracted, he runs aimlessly and fights beating the air (1 Corinthians 9:26). Focused people do not concern themselves with civilian affairs (2 Timothy 2:4).
In our text, Elisha had every reason to be distracted, both by his master, Elijah, who for three times (verses 2,4 & 6) asked him to stay behind, and by the company of prophets (presumably his colleagues) (verses 3 & 5) who reminded him how much his honour would suddenly diminish at the exit of his master.
But Prophet Elisha remained not only resolute, but focused. At the end, he became victorious and the company of Prophets who hitherto had mocked him, gathered to celebrate him (verses 15-16).
Focused people are achievers of inestimable crowns. Do not allow your peers, environment, circumstances, and challenges, etc., to distract you from the target. Elisha had worse predicaments but never allowed any of them to take his eyes away from the target. His target was a double portion of Elijah’s anointing and he eventually got it. Get focused on the target and you will be successful.
PRAYER: Almighty God, I command all detractors and their strategies to get out of my way in Jesus Name.